Monday, February 21, 2005

Thank You

Nik,
Well, I now have the internet at my desk, and I just checked out the website, that is really cool. Thank you for making it. Although, now I feel obligated to send you more pictures, so I will do my best. As far as the password, you keep it. I kind of like seeing what you choose to represent me with. It is kind of cool to be on a website. I know it might just be something you are doing to help kill the time but I really enjoy looking at it.
Things are really getting exciting here. There is always something going on. Things blowing up, things shooting, power outtages. The power goes out a lot here. The US has actually improved the power situation in Iraq a lot. Before the war started the average citizen of Baqubah got about 8-10 hours of power a day. Now there are about 20. I got a haircut today from one of the locals. His name is Hassan, not only did he do a good job cutting my hair he also gave me a few language lessons.
I am constantly amazed how much I feel God's protection here. So far, in the 5 days I have here, this compound has had 3 major attacks (either indirect fire or suicide bombers) and numerous small attacks (gun shots, etc.) yet we have not even had an injury. For some reason our people are not harmed. I don't, by any means, think this makes us invincible, but I think it shows God's hand. He is a great protector. I, coincidentally began reading 2 Corinthians the first day I moved here, and it is like it was written just for me here in this place. I am finding a great deal of use out of it so far. I am still in the 1st chapter, but already there is so much about how stressful and bad sitiuations are really chances for us to show God's strength. The worse the situation, the more God can use it. If we choose his power, instead of our own, to get us through though times, it shows to others and acts as a powerful ministry tool. There is a verse in chapter 1 (forgive me but I don't recall exactly, but I think it is 16) that says God has put his "seal on us." He owns us, and will guide us through everything this world can through our way, if we get out of his way. I really feel this right now. I am at peace, and whatever God has planned for me over here, he will give me the strength to get through. 2 Corinthinans chapter 1 also talks about how God always keeps his promise. He never lets us down. If he says something, he sees it through. We, especially we Christians, need to take this to heart. I am over here not because I want to be seperated from all of you, but because I made a commitment to my country, and I will follow my Savior, and follow thorugh on my committments. I have really been touched by Paul's words in 2 Corinthians. Maybe you should start reading it, this way we can do something together, from 5000 miles apart.
I love you more than you love me.
Rob
 

Sean Robert Meehl | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates